In 1844 the Sisters of Mercy came to Nottingham and opened St Mary's Elementary School and St Catherine's Day and Boarding School.
The current building on Beechdale Road was opened in 1962 when the Bishop asked the Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary, generally known as the Loreto Sisters, to take over the direction of the school due to increasing numbers of students.
With the ending of the all age schools and the increasing demand for secondary places, St. Mary's became a primary school and a new school named after Bishop Dunn was opened in Kingsbury Drive in 1965 to provide secondary education.
In 1975 the two schools amalgamated to become The Trinity School providing a comprehensive education for girls and boys.
The statue of Our Lady donated to us by the Sisters in 1987 has been sited at the entrance to the Loreto building (Beechdale Site). It is a constant reminder to us of the sacrifices and efforts made in the past on our behalf to establish Catholic education here for our children.
The School Badge, re-designed in 1988, encapsulates much of the school's tradition. The cross is derived from the Bishop's cross. The Fleur-de-lys represents the Loreto School and the Triangle the first symbol of The Trinity School. They are set in our colours of green, black, silver and gold. "Ad Dei Gloriam" our motto, "To the Glory of God", sums up the purpose for which we all work and means that in The Trinity School "only our best is good enough."
In January 2017 Trinity opened their new building to accommodate the growing number of students. The new building consists of rooms for Science, ICT, Geography, History, Business Studies and Physical Education.
From 1st September 2018 Trinity joined together with all the Catholic primary and secondary schools in Nottingham and Nottinghamshire to form the Our Lady of Lourdes Catholic Multi-Academy Trust.