17th December, 2019

SEND Report and Frequently Asked Questions

Special Education Needs (SEN) Information Report and FAQ

This document describes how the school supports students with SEN. It is updated annually and is in the form of frequently asked questions so that you can navigate your way through the information.

What kinds of special educational needs does the school make provision for?

Trinity Catholic School is a mainstream school. We celebrate the differences between all of our children and value the contribution which every member makes to the school community.  The admission arrangements for all pupils are in accordance with national legislation, including the Equality Act 2010. This includes children with any level of SEN and or disability and those with Education, Health and Care Plans and those without.

We provide for all kinds of SEN within the four main areas described in the Code
of Practice, June 2014. These are:

  1. Communication and interaction
  2. Cognition and learning
  3. Social, mental and emotional health difficulties
  4. Sensory and/or physical needs

How does the school/setting know if pupils need extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

All our teachers closely track and observe children’s progress in both their learning and other developmental areas. If a child is off track with their learning, this will firstly be addressed with high quality teaching and differentiation.  If the teacher has further or different concerns then the parents/ carers will be contacted to address those needs and look at ways forward. At all stages of the process we welcome a close working relationship with parents/ carers and pupils.

Should a child demonstrate needs in a particular area then school may contact outside support agencies, but this will only ever happen with consent from parents and carers.

If you are concerned that your child has special educational needs then your first point of call is to contact your child’s Pastoral Co ordinator or the school SENCO or Deputy SENCO and a meeting will then be arranged to discuss this.

How does the school/setting evaluate the effectiveness of its provision for pupils with special educational needs?

The school continually evaluates its provision and practice. A yearly report is produced for governors looking at SEN provision and practice each term. The SENCO keeps track of how pupils are progressing and evaluates the impact of interventions the school provides. We also provide regular opportunities for feedback from parents and pupils about our practice and how we could improve.

How will both the school and I know how my child is doing and how will the school help me to support their learning?

If your child has SEN and/or disabilities there will be opportunities for regular contact with school. Your child’s progress is regularly tracked and analysed to see that they making the progress that they should be. If your child is off track academically, socially and or emotionally extra interventions will be put in to support them.  These may be part of the whole class teaching or may involve small group work and at times 1:1 support. You can contact the SENCO by email or phone at any time. If a longer appointment is required then this can be arranged. We strongly believe we need to work as a team to ensure the very best for your child.

What is the schools approach to teaching pupils with special educational needs?

We believe that all children have the right to a high quality education that is tailored to their needs. We strive to support all our learners and work alongside both them and you as parents/ carers to ensure this happens.
All teachers are teachers of students with SEN and will differentiate for those with difficulties in their classes. Many students benefit from interventions that are part of their mainstream curriculum. Other interventions need to be delivered by withdrawing students from parts of their mainstream curriculum. These SEN interventions are more individualised and intensive and are usually needed longer term rather than for a short period of time.

Interventions that school provides, according to need, can include:

  • Foundation Numeracy lessons in Learning Support
  • Weekly Paired and Guided Reading
  • Positive Support
  • Supported Study
  • Social skills programmes
  • Foundation Literacy lessons in Learning Support
  • Mentoring
  • Homework support

How will the curriculum and learning be matched to my child’s learning?

If your child has particular learning needs, SEN and or disabilities this will be communicated through the SENCO to the class teachers and teaching assistants. We work hard alongside you to ensure that we make our curriculum and learning accessible to all children. If your child needs extra support or resources in certain subjects we will aim to adjust the curriculum to fit their needs.

How are decisions made about the type and amount of support my child/young person will receive?

Decisions are made according to each individual child’s needs. The management team, SENCO and class teachers look at the children who needs support within school and ensure that their needs are being met. Sometimes this means making adjustments in the classroom, such as seating arrangements, coloured overlays, use of ICT etc. At other times this could mean small group or 1:1 interventions. The support from one child to another can vary greatly and working alongside you as the parent/ carer and any outside agencies that are involved we can find the best solution to ensure your child can progress and flourish.

How will my child be included in activities outside the classroom including school trips?

We include all our children in activities outside the classroom. We will work alongside you as the parent/ carer to find the best possible solution to allow your child full access to both the curriculum inside and outside of the classroom. This is a valuable part of your child’s education and life experiences and we want them to participate fully. Trinity aims to include students with SEN in all school activities, provided that reasonable adjustments can be made to allow this. Such adjustments include:

  • liaison with outside venues re facilities for access;
  • modified or alternative activities on curriculum trips;
  • special transport;
  • additional adult support, individualised when appropriate.

What support will there be for my child’s overall wellbeing?

At Trinity Catholic School we value the whole child. It is extremely important to us that all our children feel happy, safe and achieve their full potential. We will work closely alongside you to look at any areas you and your child are concerned about be this, educational, social, emotional or health wise. We will then look at how to put plans into place to help your child grow and be a full member of our school and religious community.
All students have access to pastoral care through the Form Tutor/Pastoral Co ordinator/Head of Key Stage structure in school. School recognises that some students, especially those with SEN, may need additional help in developing their social and emotional confidence. A variety of experiences are offered to students, according to their individual needs. These may include:

  • In-class support from teacher or teaching assistant
  • Positive Support
  • Individual or group mentoring
  • A Key Worker
  • In-school Faith in Families counselling
  • Referral to appropriate outside specialist agencies such as the school nurse, Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service, Educational Psychologist.

School recognises that bullying can happen and all staff are aware that students with SEN may be more vulnerable. All students learn about the dangers and consequences of physical, verbal and online bullying, and how to deal with it, through the school’s Personal, Social and Health Education programme plus assemblies and national campaigns. They are also encouraged to specifically look out for any instances of more vulnerable students being targeted in any unkind way. A parent/carer who suspects that their child is being bullied should contact the Form Tutor, Pastoral Co ordinator or a senior member of staff. Alternatively, the student can report it when in school to any member of staff that they feel comfortable to talk to.

Who is the school Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) and what are their contact details?

The SENCO is Mrs E Aitchison and her contact details are senco@trinity.nottingham.sch.uk.

The Deputy SENCO is Paula Latimer.

What training have staff supporting special educational needs had and what is planned?

We aim to keep all school staff up to date with relevant training and developments in teaching practice in relation to the needs of pupils with SEN.
Our school offers the following training programmes:

  • Staff training takes place in staff meetings or on INSET days
  • The SENCO attends the annual SEN conference organised by the Nottingham City Local Authority
  • The SENCO attends regular SENCO network meetings open to SENCOs from all city schools and hosted frequently at Trinity
  • New teachers and students teachers are provided with special induction training around SEND at Trinity School
  • The SENCO attends relevant SEN courses and facilitates/signposts relevant SEN focused external training opportunities for staff.

What specialist services and expertise are available or accessed by the setting/school?

The school has termly Team Around the School meetings which variety of external agencies attend (such as Behaviour Support Team, Inclusive Educational Services and Educational Psychology), so that school can seek out additional support or advice where necessary.
The school regularly liaises with other outside agencies involved including, CAMHS and NHS services. Parents/carers and the student are always consulted before any of these agencies are contacted.

Educational Psychologist Jilly Horne
Autism Team Link Sarah Golding
Inclusive Education Services Link Heather O’Neill
Behaviour Support Team Link Sarah Stockley
Teacher for Hearing Impaired Students Debbie Gamage
Teacher for Visually Impaired Students Mark Rowe
School Nurse Antony Welch
School Faith in Families Counsellor Tanya Richards
CAMHs Link worker Martina Heyhoe
Sharps Link worker Ruth Bell

How will equipment and facilities to support pupils with Special Educational needs be secured? How accessible is the school/ setting?

The school has partial wheel chair access and has a disabled toilet. The school can provide assistive technology according to specific needs. The school will work alongside parents/ carers/ children and outside agencies to ensure needs are met. Please also see the school’s Accessibility Policy.

What are the arrangements for consulting parents of pupils with Special Educational Needs and or disabilities? How will I be involved in the education of my child?

Parents/ carers play a vital role in the education of their child. We work with parents/ carers and the child to look at ways to ensure the very best education. We are regularly in contact with parents/ carers and value the wealth of knowledge that they bring. There are review meetings throughout the year and extra contact as needed.  This can take place, face to face, by telephone, e mail, and letter. As a team of home and school we will have far greater impact on the future of your child.

What are the arrangements for consulting children with SEN and or disabilities and involving them in their education?

We encourage children to be reflective learners and to understand the ways in which they learn best. There is the opportunity for them to discuss this with teachers, teaching assistants and peers throughout the school day.
Children are always welcome to be part of a meeting should the parents/ carers deem that appropriate. If not for the whole meeting then a suitable part where they can put forward their views and thoughts on reviewing and setting next steps.

What do I do if I have a concern or complaint about the SEN provision made by the school?

If you have a complaint we encourage you to approach the teacher of your child, the SENCO, Deputy Headteacher or the Headteacher. We will happily work alongside you to solve the issue and look at ways forward. The school has an official complaints policy which can be referred to on our school website.

How does the governing body involve other organisations and services (e.g. health, social care, local authority services and voluntary organisations) in meeting the needs of pupils with special educational needs and supporting the families of such pupils?

The school works alongside other organisations and services to ensure the very best for our children. We approach different services with parental/carer consultation to help find a pathway forward.

How does the school seek to signpost organisations, services etc. who can provide additional support to parents/ carers and children?

Our school signposts organisations depending on the individual needs of children and families. We do this through meetings with parents/ carers. We have the Local Send Offer for Nottingham City Link on our school website and encourage the use of this for parents/ carers to see what options are out there.

How will the school prepare my child to transition from KS2 to KS3 and from KS3 to KS4 and post 16?

The following arrangements are in place.

Year 6 to Year 7

  • Senco and SEN team visit all feeder schools and contact by phone all non-feeders.  All SEND information is passed on at the meeting and fed back to the year 7 pastoral team and appropriate teaching staff.
  • All SEND documents and records are passed to the senior school and shared with class teachers.
  • Parental/carers meetings are set in place where they are needed..
  • Additional transition visits are made available for those students with SEND that require them.
  • SENCO attends any multi-agency/CAF meetings at the primary school where necessary.

Y9 to Y10

  • Transition support is offered to those students with SEND that require it; being tailored to meet their needs.
  • All SEND documents, records and information are passed onto the upper school pastoral team.
  • The SENCO meets with all pastoral heads each year to support transition.

Post 16

  • The school is supported by Futures team and all those SEND pupils are signposted early in the process for careers interviews.
  • All SEND documents, records and information are passed onto the college or Post 16 placement, including access arrangements.
  • All pupils are supported throughout year 11 in finding a suitable Post 16 option through pastoral time, access to mentoring and a dedicated careers team.

How does the school support students in public examinations?

Where a student has a disability or learning difficulty that would make it hard for them to show their true level of ability in public exams, exam boards allow certain access arrangements to be made. They publish detailed guidelines to make sure that these are fairly applied: students have to be tested using reliable standardised tests and there has to be evidence of a history of need for this provision. School then has to apply individually for each student needing the support. Students with SEN, even an EHC Plan, do not automatically qualify for any particular support; it depends on their level of particular need.

The most common types of exam access support, though there are many more, are:

  • a reader for those with very weak reading;
  • a scribe where weak spelling makes writing unintelligible;
  • extra time where reading speed, thinking speed or writing speed is very slow;
  • rest breaks, often best in the case of temporary injury;
  • word processing where efficient, practicable and needed to make presentation acceptable.

Teachers observe students when they do subject tests in school for signs that they might qualify. Then, towards the end of Year 9, formal screening of all at risk students takes place. Testing is completed by an independent and qualified agency member and applications are made in Year 10, and parents are informed once permission has been obtained from the exam boards. It is unlikely but not impossible for a student to remain unidentified until Year 11, as this shows that there is not strong evidence of history of need. Exam access arrangements have to be reapplied for in Years 12 and 13 for AS and A Levels.

Where can I access further information?

Further information can be obtained from our school policy on Special Educational Needs and Disability.
It can also be  accessed via the Local Authority’s Local Offer for students with Special Educational Needs.

We are always available to answer and support you with any queries that you may have.


The SEND Report and FAQ is reviewed annually.

Next Review Date: February 2019

Link Govenror: Mrs S Morris

Report Owner: Mrs E Aitchison (SENCO)