Sixth Form Dance
Dance offers the opportunity to develop:
- choreographic skills
- performance skills
- critical skills for the analysis of choreography and performance
- knowledge and understanding of a specific area of study
Unit 1: Understanding Dance
- The dancer as performer: knowledge and understanding of the demands made in practice and performance on the dancer.
- Health and safety of the dancer.
- The process and craft of choreography.
- The significance of dances.
This unit will be assessed through a written exam lasting 1 hour 30 minutes.
Unit 2: Choreography and Performance
- The process of solo choreography from investigation and research of ideas through to outcome.
- Physical and interpretative skills in relation to performance of the solo choreography.
- Performance skills within a duo/trio performance context.
Unit 2 has two sections:
Section A: Solo Choreography and Performance
You will choreograph and perform a solo dance, between two and three minutes' duration. Questions are set and pre-released by AQA, from which you select one.
Section B: Performance in a duo/trio
You are required to demonstrate performance skills within the context of a duo/trio. The dance must be between three and four minutes in duration.
You will be assessed on both sections and marked by the teacher and moderated by AQA.
Unit 3 Appreciation: Content and Context
- Investigating one area of study from – ballet, modern dance or jazz dance.
- Critical analysis and appreciation of one set work and its cultural and artistic context from a choice of three.
This unit will be assessed through a written paper lasting 1 hour 30 minutes.
Unit 4: Group Choreography and Solo Performance
- Group choreography from investigation and research of ideas through to outcome.
- Solo performance skills in relation to a specific practitioner within a specific area of dance study prescribed for Unit 3.
This unit has two sections:
Section A: Group Choreography
You will choreograph a group dance, of two to three minutes' duration, in which you do not perform. Questions will be set and pre-released by AQA, from which you will select one.
Section B: Solo performance
You will present a solo performance, of two to three minutes' duration, which demonstrates understanding of a performance style linked to a specific practitioner from the areas of study prescribed in Unit 3.
This unit will be assessed through a practical exam set by AQA and marked by a visiting examiner.
- "It broadens your imagination"
- "It gives you a chance to be creative in a practical way"
- "Improves your physical health"
- "It gives you opportunities to perform"
- "It gives you confidence"
- "It’s my favourite lesson"
- "It’s the most stress relieving lesson"
What will I gain from taking Dance?
- Dance technique
- Performance skills
- Choreographic and creative skills
- Critical analysis and appreciation skills
- Investigation and research skills
- Team work
- Communication skills
Trinity Sixth Form is one of only a handful of schools who offer AS/A2 Dance in Nottinghamshire.